Hi everyone! I stink at anything that involves technology. I appreciate any help you all can provide. I'm sure this is a very easy question, but I can't figure it out. How can I secure my wireless connection? We recently moved and I used the same Tenda Wireless Router that we had in the old house, although the person that installed our internet said he couldn't make it secure because I didn't have the installation CD. Any ideas where I can get this CD? I don't know much, but I definitely want to make our connection secure. I have Tenda Te-N301 300 Mbps Wireless Router. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Securing your Wireless Network is a must, as it enhances the security and speed of your network. Here we will discuss in detail on how to secure or set a password in a Tenda Router. Follow the instructions carefully:
Reset your router by pressing the “Reset” button for 20 seconds. This will ensure that your router is configured to its factory settings. Please make sure that you don’t overdo it as this may cause permanent damage to your router.
Connect your Tenda Router to your computer using an Ethernet cable. Connect one side of the cable into the LAN port of your Tenda Router and the other end into your computer.
Now open your web browser and enter 192.168.0.1 in the URL field and hit “Enter”.
This will redirect you to the default home page of your Wireless Network. Enter your username and password, if provided by your ISP. Type “admin” in the username and leave the password field blank if nothing is provided by your ISP.
Once on the page, click on “WLAN Settings” and then click on “Basic Settings” to change your SSID and password. Make sure to keep your password strong and at the same time make sure to write it down somewhere, in case you need it further.
Now click on “WPS Setting” on the right side and disable it. Click on save in order to apply the settings.
Once done, close the window and restart your computer to apply those changes.
Now your Wireless Network is secured with a password.
Hopefully, the given steps helped you in securing your Wireless Network. In case if you have any further query, kindly revert back with that query and I would try my best to help you out.
The Steps to secure your Tenda router are as below:
1. Connect your computer to one of the yellow LAN port by an Ethernet cable or just connect to the router wirelessly. (It’s strongly suggested that connect to the router by cable, since the wireless settings changed, the old wireless connection will drop out.)
2. Open a browser or safari, then input 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, click Enter.
3. Input the default username and password “admin, admin”, click Login to go to the homepage.
4. Click WLAN Settings, then click Basic Settings, to change the SSID and then Apply.
5. Click WPS Settings on the right side. Then choose Disable as WPS Settings. Don’t forget to click Save. Click Security Settings under Basic Settings to set the wireless password as the following picture and Apply. Please find the name of your wireless network (SSID) and connect to it. It will require a password, please type in the password you just created, and click OK to connect.
Another way to help prevent hackers from messing with your wireless router is to disable the "admin via wireless" setting. When you disable the "admin via wireless" feature on your router it makes it so that only someone who is physically connected to your router via an Ethernet cable can access the admin features of your wireless router. This helps to prevent someone from driving by your house and accessing the administrative functions of your router if they've compromised your Wi-Fi encryption.