Update Firmware on the AirStation Buffalo Router
Usually each and every device requires a firmware update. Likewise, AirStation Buffalo Router starts to malfunction as soon as any new update occurs. There are two ways to update firmware on the AirStation Buffalo Router, manually upload and automatic upload through online firmware update feature. Generally, the process of updating the AirStation firmware helps in improving the device performance. This happens so because firmware updates rectifies and updates the problems thereby adding new functions to the device.
So, there are two methods to update firmware on the AirStation Buffalo Router.
Update For Professional Firmware (DD-WRT)
- Firstly, access the configuration interface of the AirStation router.
- Under the Administration tab, Click on Firmware upgrade tab.
- Now if you want to manually upload a firmware file, click on the Browse button and then choose the previously downloaded Firmware file.
- Now, as soon as you click the Update button, the file starts to upload at router server.
- The other way is to click Check for update option and select from a list of available updates released on Buffalo servers.
Update For User Friendly Firmware
Manual Update Method: This uploads previously downloaded firmware file
- Initially, download the latest firmware file from the official Buffalo website and then unzip the downloaded file into the folder.
- Next, visit and access the configuration interface of the AirStation.
- Now, click on Update AirStation Firmware option under Other tab.
- Finally, select the installed file you want to use to update firmware on the AirStation Buffalo Router. For this take the following steps:
- Check and select the "Specify Local File" option.
- Next, click on the Browse button and select file as "******-XXX" *1 in the decompressed folder.
- Finally, click on Update Firmware or Apply option to save the settings.
- You will observe that the DIAG LED of the AirStation router starts blinking red color.
Here, follow the provided instructions and wait until update firmware on the AirStation Buffalo Router is complete.
- When the file is uploaded on the server, the DIAG LED continues to blink red. Make sure that you don't turn off the AirStation while upload is in progress as it may lead to an unrecoverable error.
- Once the upload is completed, you can confirm version information under the Diagnostic tab.
- The firmware version is shown as "Ver.xxx*" of the product or model name field.
Note: As you find the latest firmware version displaying "xxx", this means the firmware update is completed successfully.
Automatic Update Method:
This is on line firmware update. The Supported AirStation checks its Buffalo servers for latest update.
- Go to the configuration interface of the AirStation.
- Click on Update AirStation Firmware option provided inside Others tab.
- Select the Automatic Update (On Line Version UP) option and click on the Apply button.
- Now, Check and select the latest firmware version under the "Available firmware list" and then click on Update Firmware option.
Note: In case no firmware update is available, then you will see a message "Available firmware is not obtained" on the screen.
- When "Firmware updating" is shown to you, click [×] button and close the screen.
- Here, the DIAG LED of the AirStation starts to blink red. So, you have to wait for about 5 minutes until the DIAG LED is turned off itself.
- When the upload takes place, the DIAG LED blinks red light. While upon turning off the AirStation during the upload is in progress may result in an unrecoverable error.
- Once the upload is successfully done and completed, confirm the version information by referring to provided Diagnostic tab.
- The firmware version is shown as "Ver.xxx*" in the product name field.
- As you find that the latest firmware version is shown in "xxx", this means that firmware update is complete.
How to launch the web interface of AirStation?
- Connect your system to the AirStation.
- Open any browser on your system.
- Enter the AirStation's IP 192.168.11.1 (default) in the address field.
- Enter the default username and password. Finally, click on the Login button.
Important Note: If the Router LED is off or you see no router LED, then the AirStation is in Bridge Mode. In this case, the default IP is 192.168.11.100.
Hope this easy guide to update firmware on the AirStation Buffalo Router is helpful.