Steps to Set Up a Linksys Range Extender in the Existing Networks:
As per the network capability, Linksys offers you two methods to install the extender. They are:
Amidst the process to Set Up a Linksys Range Extender, you have to confirm some basic prerequisites before initiating setup wizard.
Some Basic Pre-Requisites Include:
- During the installation process, place the extender in the same room as your home router or access point is.
- Ensure that your home network should be in up-state.
- Make sure to keep your network password with you as you will be needing it during the installation process.
1. Manual Method
Here, you will require to perform the steps manually which is very much clear from the name of the method itself. Steps to Set Up a Linksys Range Extender using the manual method include:
- Primarily, turn your extender device ON.
- Status of power can be monitored through Power LED.
- Then build the link between Linksys range extender and any of your devices such as computer or laptop, with the help of either Ethernet cable or WiFi mode.
- Now go to any web browser such as google chrome, internet explorer, on your computer system and type http://extender.linksys.com in the address field. You can also enter 192.168.1.1 instead of http://extender.linksys.com.
- To log in to http://extender.linksys.com webpage, you will be prompted to enter your network username and password.
By Default, These Credentials are:
- Username: - should have to be left blank
- Password: - admin
Once you have entered all the credentials, click on log in. Linksys WiFi range extender setup wizard will appear on your screen.
- Click on wireless on this page and then on basic wireless settings.
- the user will be provided with an option to select among Wi-Fi Protected Setup or Manual setup. Here select Manual setup.
- You will now be asked to enter the network name or your Router’s SSID.
- Now the password your network and then click on save the setting.
- By this, your Linksys range extender gets installed using http://extedner.linksys.com; login page.
- Lastly, set your router and Linksys extender powered off. Then firstly turn your router on and only when all lights on router get stable then put your range extender on power.
2. WPS Method (WiFi Protected Setup)
This is the second method to install the extender. Steps to Set Up a Linksys Range Extender using the WPS method include:
- Pressing the WPS button manually on your extender
- With the help of web-based web-page i.e. http://extedner.linksys.com
Wi-Fi protected setup involves both of the methods to install the extender.
1. Pressing the WPS Button Manually on Your Extender
In this method, you will require to press the WPS button on your extender, manually. Through this extender will attempt for WPS connection. At this time press WPS button of your router. By this WPS LED on your extender will get steadied,
which will signify a successful WPS connection. Now you can connect to Linksys extender’s network using any of your devices.
2. With the Help of Web-Based Web-Page i.e. http://extedner.linksys.com
We will show you 3 methods to install the extender under this method. They are:
- You will be required to fix the connection between any of your devices such as the computer system and Linksys range extender.
- You can perform it by using either Ethernet cable or through Wi-Fi mode.
- Then do launch http://extender.linksys.com setup page.
- Once you log into the setup page, choose Wireless and then choose Basic Wireless Settings.
- You will now be prompted to select among Manual method or WPS method. You need to choose WPS.
- Now finally press the WPS button and then on the image shown on the right of your screen.
2nd Method: Enter the PIN number of the device you are using and then click on the register button.
3rd Method: The 3rd option is to enter the PIN number on your device.
Above were the 3 methods to install the extender under the web-based web-page i.e. http://extedner.linksys.com method. Now let’s have a look at the steps to Set Up a Linksys Range Extender With the help of web-based web-page i.e. http://extedner.linksys.com.
- Connect the extender to your computer device using an Ethernet cable.
- Type "192.168.1.240" in the address bar of your web browser. This is the default address for "Linksys Wireless Range Expander. Now Press "Enter."
- Login the setup page for the extender. Now type the name of your extender and enter the same SSID number that you got from your router or access point into the SSID field. Once you have entered, you will find the drop-down menu next to the channel and select the same channel used by your router or access point. Click on "Save."
- On the security page of your expander, select the same security settings you have on your wireless network.
- In case the network is security protected, click on save settings.
So this was the article for you to Set Up a Linksys Range Extender, hope it helped you.