Hello, I have bought a Netgear router from eBay recently, the model number of the device is N300. I want to set it up with my Windows computer whose configuration is Windows 7 OS Comcast modem 3GB Ram Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.4 GHz with 6 cores. I did not get the software CD along with the router, so what am I supposed to make it work? I tried connecting it directly to the modem but apart from blinking of lights nothing happened. Can anyone tell me what the issue is and how can I set it up?
In order to make your router work, you need to configure it as per your internet settings. Simply connecting it to the power outlet would not help much. I will discuss a detailed description on how to do that, kindly follow the given instructions carefully:
1. Connect your Netgear N300 router to your computer using an ethernet cable. One end of the cable goes into the LAN port of your router while the other end goes into the computer's ethernet port. The ADSL cable from your modem will go inside the WAN port of the router. Wait for few minutes to let the connection between the two devices get established.
2. Open your web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in the URL field and hit Enter. This will redirect you to your router's login portal.
3. Enter "admin" in the username field and leave the password field blank and hit Enter. This will redirect you to the main settings page of your router. The SSID and Password mentioned above is default ones and may vary from region and country, so if this does not work, simply google, "Default SSID and Password of Netgear in my region"
4. Once on the main settings page, go to setup wizard at the top left corner, now the router will analyze your network settings and suggest you some recommended settings. Either go for that or you can change it on your own too.
5. Go to WAN settings from your dashboard and enable DHCP settings on your router. This will allow your router to receive an automatic IP address from your ISP. Save the settings and go back to the main window.
6. Now, go to security settings and change the encryption type to WPA2 as it is considered to be a government level encryption. Just below the encryption type, you will see a box for "Passkey" this is your router password, change it and create a strong password which cannot be guessed by others. Save the settings.
You have successfully configured your router now, remove the ethernet connection and put everything back in its position. Hopefully, these steps were helpful but in case if you have any further doubts or queries feel free to revert back.