Want to setup belkin router for gaming. Help!!! I am buying a new belkin router before 2 days but i don't know how to setup my router. I am also trying to setup with the help of cd, but no solution. Give me some easy steps so that i am setup my belkin router. Help please!!!
Setup Belkin router for gaming - Belkin routers are one of the best sources of connecting the home network to the internet, no matter you want to watch online videos or play online- games, their performance is awesome.
Let's have a look at these points to know the procedure for “how to set up Belkin router for gaming” -
1.First of all, you have to connect your system to DSL modem. After connecting DSL modem to the system, you will see a log-in screen for your Internet Service Provider. Here you will see login credentials, just note them on a piece of paper.
2.Now, unplug Belkin router and also DSL modem.
3.In the next step, you have to plug DSL modem to WAN port of Belkin router.
Also, you have to connect your system to one of the Belkin router’s numbered ports (there are 4 ports and you can plug into any of them).
4.After this, turn on DSL modem and wait for a couple of seconds. Also, plugin Belkin router and restart your system in a fresh way.
5.Once system restarts, go to Start and then tap on Control Panel.
Next, tap on “Network Connections” and then press a right click on the option “Local Area Connection”. By doing this, network connection properties will pop-up on screen.
6.Under Network Connection Properties, tap on Internet Protocol> Obtain the IP address automatically> Obtain DNS server address automatically.
7.Now, open internet browser and you are prompted to Belkin login screen where you have to enter login credentials that are provided by your ISP.
Also, check these additional points for setting up Belkin router for gaming -
a) NAT restrictions – In some routers, NAT type is set to strict level or moderate level. If the same thing is with your Belkin router, then it can block ports and that can cause the interruption in your online gaming experience. To sort out this problem, contact gaming console manufacturer and get to know which port should be open for online gaming. Once you get the port information, use port forwarding to configure ports.
b) Double NAT- If you are experiencing a slow gameplay then check you don’t have two devices that are performing NAT (double natting). If you have deployed two routers on the network for signal repeating then check for NAT as it can kill network performance. So, check there should be single routing device that can perform NAT in the network.
c) UPnP - UPnP is a standard through which a router can easily communicate with other devices on the network. Enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) on Belkin router so that you can easily contact to other gamers that exist in your network.
Gaming over your wifi or home network is totally different than watching or downloading from the internet. Most of the current online games are live and being played over the world wide web from different locations. so in order to setup your Belkin Router for gaming help, you need to tweak and change a few settings to make it more reliable and helpful in your online gaming extravaganzas. Here I will discuss few techniques and steps for your Belkin router setup which will help you make your gaming experience worth remembering. Follow the given steps carefully, the first two steps are common in each later bold and differently colored methods which have been mentioned.
1. First, open your web browser and type in your IP address, in case you do not know your IP address, simply google "My IP address" and type into your browser and press enter. This will redirect you to the Login page of your router.
2. Enter your username and password to login to your router account and get access to router settings. in case your ISP did not provide any router login credentials, then use "admin" in the username field and leave the password field blank and hit Enter. This will take you to the main router settings page.
3. Enable Universal Plug and play(UPnP): This feature allows devices and applications to get access to your network and connect to other devices as per the requirements. If you are planning for peer-to-peer or multiplayer gaming, enable this feature in your router. Once you are logged into your router settings goto "Advanced setup">"UPnP">"Turn UPnP on". simply enable this feature and save settings.
4. Port-forwarding: This method is used to enable your router to forward its connection to a specified server, in this case, its a gaming server. To enable this feature on your router, go to "Advanced Settings" > "Port forwarding". Now on the port forwarding page, you will have to add the new server to which you want to grant access or do the port forwarding for. simply type in the IP address of the device you want to add and save the settings.
5. Port Triggering: The method of port triggering is used to deviate right amount of traffic to the external server, a gaming server in this case to maintain the steady flow of data. This ensures do not get stranded or stuck while playing your favorite game. In order to activate Port triggering, go to "Advanced Settings" > "Port Triggering". Now on the main port triggering page you need to first add a service name and select TCP/UDP. after that, you need to specify the number of outbound traffic port and then click apply to change the settings.
6. Setup Default DMZ Server: If you are using an online gaming service which is incompatible with NAT services this features will fill that void. In order to set up the DMZ server, go to "Advanced Setup" > "WAN Setup". under the WAN setup page you will notice a field for activating DMZ services, simply check the box and enter the IP address of your gaming portal. Save the settings.\
7. Network Adapter settings (NAT): NAT determines the inbound traffic valuation i.e how much inbound traffic your router can handle. The secured NAT setup protects and saves your router and internet from attacks on LAN. on the contrary and as a safety feature, it blocks a lot of multimedia features which is necessary for gaming purpose. So open your NAT, although it will weaken your firewall a bit but all necessary games can be played without any interference.
These are some of the methods and settings you can enable in your Belkin router as mentioned above to have a smooth and hassle-free gaming experience. In case you did not understand any part or need any other technical help, contact Belkin router Technical Support. You can also revert back to your query. and I will be glad to help!
How to setup belkin router for gaming?