I purchased Netgear N300 wireless router this evening. After a couple of hours, I conclude it is not connecting to my laptop. I also read the manual but didn't understand anything. Is something is wrong with my Netgear router? Can anybody help me to fix Netgear wireless router so I can enjoy hassle-free web browsing. Any advice is very much appreciated!
In order to make your Netgear router connect to your laptop, you need to configure it first. It won't simply connect to your laptop if you switch it on. I will discuss how to set up your Netgear router from scratch, so follow the instructions carefully:
1. First, connect your router to your computer while bypassing the modem, i.e connect the internet cable to your router's internet port and then using an Ethernet cable connect it to your computer. One end of the cable goes into the WAN port of your router while the other end goes into the ethernet port of your computer. Wait for few seconds to let the connection between the two devices get established.
2. Open your web browser and type in your IP address in the given URL field and hit Enter. This will redirect you to your router's login page setup, in case you do not know your IP address, simply google "My IP address" or "Netgear router default IP address" and you will find it easily.
3. Once on the login page, enter "admin" in the username field and leave the password field blank as it is and then hit Enter. This will redirect you to the main settings page of your router.
4. Once on the main settings page, click on "Setup Wizard" on the top left corner, a setup wizard will appear, select "Yes" and then click on Next to start the setup process.
5. The setup wizard will automatically detect your type of internet connection and set up a Dynamic IP for your router, select "Yes" and then click Next to proceed.
6. Now your router will configure itself as per the automatic IP address and set up the DNS settings for you. Do not alter any default DNS settings unless your service provider has given you any specific settings. Now save these settings and go to the main window.
7. In case you want to check whether the configuration was successful or not, go to "Maintenance" > "Router Status", now look at the IP address, if you can see any IP address being shown then you have successfully configured your router and now you should be able to connect it to your laptop or any other device.
Hopefully, these steps helped you in configuring your router from scratch and subsequently helped you to connect your laptop to your Netgear router. In case you have any difficulty in understanding these steps or you have any query regarding the same, kindly revert back to your query and I will be glad to help!
How do I Fix My NETGEAR Wireless Router?