I have a Netgear N-series of router, which I have been using for quite some time. My ISP provided me with a login details to get access to my router settings page, which I never really used. But recently, when I was having issues with my router, I could not login to my Netgear router. Can anyone tell me why this happened and how can I login to my router?
Step 1 : Link your router and computer system using an ethernet wire. Insert one end of the ethernet wire in your router’s LAN port. Please ensure that both the ends are secure.
Step 2 : Please make sure that the internet LED light is turned on. In case it is not turned on, then follow the steps that are mentioned in the manual for troubleshooting the LED status.
Step 3: Now to login into my Netgear router, see if the LED lights are turned or not. In case the light is still not turned on, then insert the ethernet cable to some other port. If the lights still don’t get turned on, then you will have to perform the troubleshooting steps once again.
Step 4 : Also, check the ethernet adapter’s light. If it does not get turned on, then you will have to troubleshoot the adapter. Then, you must not continue with the steps that are given ahead. In case, it was not Netgear ethernet adapter, then you need to contact the adapter’s manufacturer.
Step 5 : Go to the start menu and then Run. Enter cmd. After that, type ping me 192.168.0.1. In case the message of request timed out pops up in front of you, then type 192.168.0.1. If the message still does not go away, then that means your computer system is not able to connect with the router.
Step 6 : Or else, your computer is connected to the router.
If you are unable to log into your router follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
1. Connect your router to your computer via a wired ethernet connection. One end of the wire will go inside your LAN port while the other end into your computer's ethernet port.
2. Check the LED lights, make sure they are not blinking continuously, if the LED lights are not behaving normal chances are, you might have an issue with your internet connection.
3. To test the internet connection, click Start > Run, type cmd in the box to get access to the command prompt on your computer. Type 'ping 192.168.1.1'. If the message shows 'Request Timed Out', then try ping 192.168.0.1. If you still get the similar message then your router is not able to connect to the internet.
4. Make sure your router is in functioning condition, reboot and see if the problem has been resolved.
5. Make sure you are not using any kind of proxy software with your router, if you are, disable it and see if the problem has been resolved.
6. If even after these steps, your problem prevails, reset your router and then try logging into it using the default username and password.
You can find the default username and password for your Netgear router model here.
Why Can't I Login Into My NETGEAR Router?